Barley is a grain that has been used for thousands of years for its sweet, nutty flavor. Today, it remains one of the best whole-grain options available for those who wish to invest in a healthier diet. A rugged crop, barley can be grown all over the world, which means that barley flour can be readily produced in an environmentally-friendly manner. In fact, our barley flour is produced right here in the US! Rich in fiber and minerals, it’s a healthy alternative to both white and wheat flours.Health Benefits of Organic Barley Flour
In addition to its unique flavor, many choose barley flour over white or wheat flour specifically for the health benefits it offers. Packed with vitamins, it’s a great way to boost your health even as you enjoy baked goods. Here’s what barley flour has to provide:
- Low Cholesterol: Although cholesterol can be a part of a healthy diet, keeping cholesterol levels low is important for lowering risks of heart disease and stroke, which makes finding low-cholesterol staples an important aspect of any diet.
- Low Sodium: If you have issues with your blood pressure, you already know that limiting your sodium intake is important for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Prepackaged foods, including canned foods, are typically packed with added sodium for preservation purposes, which is one of the reasons making your own, fresh food is such a great option. Barley flour is low in sodium.
- High Fiber: Fiber is an important component in digestive health. It pushes the waste through your body, ensuring toxins don’t build up within you. High-fiber diets generally lead to people feeling happier and more energetic than low-fiber diets.
- Potassium: Potassium is a great mineral, especially if you have high blood pressure, as it can help to counteract the effects of sodium in your diet. In the US, most people have high-sodium diets, which makes increasing your potassium intake important. Potassium also helps your body maintain its balance between acids and bases, helping with reflux and other digestive issues.
- Protein: With 3 grams of plant-based protein per ounce, barley flour offers a great protein boost not often found in grains. Used to build and maintain healthy muscles and organs.